The Hopeful Homesteader

The Hopeful Homesteader

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Do you believe in old sayings and wives tales?

I'm not a very superstitious person. I mean I have a few quirks but for the most part no. However, my mother always firmly belived in one and I have to say that in my experience it has been accurate about 85-90% of the time.

I'm talking about the old saying about if your left hand/right hand itching.

For those  not familiar with this the saying is that if your left hand itches you're going to receive money and if your right hand itches you're going to spend money.

 My mother paid very close attention to this one and swore by it. I have to say that I have followed suit. Of course Mama always added a second part to that which I haven't heard many other people use. She always added, "Scratch it on your a$$ and it will come to pass." My mother was a very colorful person.

Well last night my left hand started itching so bad it was almost burning! I really hope this means that we'll be getting the money come Monday and the waiting will finally be over.  I just don't think I can take much more waiting.

Do you believe in old sayings like this? Perhaps if a broom falls or your nose itches you're going to have company? What are some old sayings that you all know and/or swear by?

Please leave comments, I'd love to hear 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment