The Hopeful Homesteader

The Hopeful Homesteader

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Choosing the Right Breed of Goats


I’ve been thinking a lot about what type of goats we want to have. I know I want one that is a good milk producer because the main reason I want goats is to be able to make cheeses. My family eats A LOT of cheese and I would love to be able to make it fresh for not only health reasons but economical ones as well.  I don’t know if I would like goat meat or not, I’ve heard it has a ‘gamey’ taste to it but I’m not opposed to trying it.
I’ve read dozens and dozens of sites and asked a few people I know what breed they suggest and why.  While many people can give me a favorite breed few could actually give me a really good reason as to why that is the right breed.
I finally found the answer to my question here. They give a great breakdown of what each breed is best for and what’s more they give the characteristics of the breed that make them right for each category. It looks like what I’m interested in would be a Nubian dairy goat.
Hooray! I know what kind of goats we want.  Yet another reason the waiting is dragging on. Ugggh.

No comments:

Post a Comment