The Hopeful Homesteader

The Hopeful Homesteader

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Holidays are coming--Mama's recipes

I come from a very large family and we aren't always able to be together for the holidays. One thing I have always counted on throughout the years in the weeks before Thanksgiving is a call from at least one of my sisters (I have 9 of them!), asking me for several of Mama's recipes, most especially her dressing recipe. (Mama passed away when I was 15. The youngest of her kids was only 6.)

The conversation usually goes something like this:
Various Sister: Do you have Mama's dressing recipe?
Me: Yeah you got a pen?
Various Sister: Okay go ahead.
Me: Get out your iron skillet.
Various Sister: I don't have an iron skillet.
Me: Then ya can't make Mama's dressing.

Of course I would always finish giving them the recipe but Mama was always adamant about making cornbread in an iron skillet. To her it just wasn't cornbread if it wasn't baked in an iron skillet and I must say that I agree with her. The bottom crust is so much better in an iron skillet that it gives a more robust flavor to the entire bread.

So I thought I'd post the recipes that get asked for every year on here as a quick reference that they can find whenever they need it. Maybe someone else might like to give them a try as well. Mama was one heck of a cook!

Mama's Cornbread
Mama's Biscuits
Mama's Dressing
Mama's Divinity
Mama's Butter Cake
Mama's Homemade Chocolate Frosting

Although as I sit here typing this post, I am forced to wonder -- will my holidays be forever changed? I have always loved being the one that everyone called to get Mama's recipes. Hmmm, oh well, I'll post anyway. Surely they will still call anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment