The Hopeful Homesteader

The Hopeful Homesteader

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Front Porch

Well Monday and Tuesday we spent working on the front porch. We've finally gotten it to where I'm satisfied with it. (Not finished but usable at least.)  Taking down the tin was a bit tricky since our ladder wasn't quite tall enough to reach the highest screws. Kevin knew a guy when he was younger that was working with tin and was decapitated by it so of course I was a nervous wreck until it was all down.

The tin is off.
 With the tin down, the view of the side yard is just beautiful. Still have a lot of cleaning up to do around the trees and so forth but that's for another day.

We saved the tin to use on the chicken coop.
 The front of the trailer looks so much better just having the tin down. The way it was with two different colors of tin it was just an eye-sore. I admit this is far from perfect but it's much better than it was.

 We had hoped to be able to save the lattice. I scraped at the foam insulation for over an hour and only had about a 2 foot wide section semi cleared so we decided that it was more trouble than it was worth. We took out all the lattice and used some wood we had from pallets to make some railings.

Gotta love free pallet wood.

Still need a few more rails and we're going to add a sill above them.

Sitting on the porch looking out has a MUCH better view now.
They're predicting rain for the next few days so probably wont get to start on the chicken coop until next week sometime. But we're making progress, its slow, but it's still progress. Although it's not what we want the end product to be, for now it will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment